miscellaneous

Developer
Dec 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2008 at 1:49 PM
Just a few questions I have:

What are the major steps that need to be performed in a turn and in what order?
- Calculate & apply resource growth
- Move military units and resolve conflicts
- Calculate & apply income (tax, spending, trade)
- Other..

What is the context in which game objects should live?
Majesty_of_Omega.BL.Game.SaveGame?

Should we generate SitReports for AI players too for them to react on or will they only react to current state (not changes from previous turn)?
In that case we might want to derive several types of report with more data to use.

Aren't there any problems with using artwork from MOO3?

The ResearchManager is contained in SaveGame, not Player. Does this mean that only the human player can do research? Will AI opponents use simulated research?

I'll add more when I think of it :)
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Hi Kender

Justa few questions I have:

[Claassen, Andre]

- Other..

[Claassen,Andre]

AllYes: I am currently concentrate my work on the research aspect in the turn. Afterthat, I want populate my world with researched structures and building andcalculate % apply resource growth.

TheSaveGame object is the root object for the current game state.

TheSitReport is only for the human player. This is the main navigation point,because he could easily navigate to the different aspects of the game. I wantto experiment with the “imperial focus point” idea. The player should notmodify every detail in a turn, which is tidy in the late game. In a game, theplayer should grow from a mcirosmanager to a macromanager. Imperial focus pointsrestrict the number of modifications in a turn. The more the playermicromanage, the more his government will be destabilized.

[Claassen, Andre] see: http://www.orionsector.com/pages/moo3/dd/dd-hfog.php

[Claassen,Andre]

Majesty_of_Omega.BL.Game.Savegame?

Should we generate SitReports for AI players too for them to react on or willthey only react to current state (not changes from previous turn)?
In that case we might want to derive several types of report with more data touse.

Developer
Dec 4, 2008 at 7:38 PM
I thought I'd get started on the AI side. You are obviously much more at home with GUIs than I am, so maybe we can work in parallel a bit.
So that when you enable the player to do stuff in the GUI, I enable the AI opponents to do the same things (without a GUI of course).

But I noticed that the ResearchManager lives in the SaveGame, so there is only one set of research for all players. That made me wonder if research is something for human players only.

Perhaps we should start creating some structures to hold the player-specific stuff. Like treasury, resources and perhaps research.

Like:
SaveGame
Player 0
Research
Treasury
Policies
Leaders
Resources
Etc.
Player 1
Research
Treasury
Policies
Leaders
Resources
Etc.

Another way to do it would be less intuitive for me:
SaveGame
Research
Player 0
Player 1
Treasury
Player 0
Player 1
Etc.
I think there are two different kinds of items. 'Personal' and 'Global'. Where personal items are the things other players cannot interact with (except through spying maybe) like treasury, tax setting, policies, leader appointments, etc.
The Global items could then be things like planets, ships, bases. They can live in the SaveGame and have tags identifier their owners.
I hope you get where I'm going with this. It's kinda hard to explain maybe :)

I also think it's a good idea to start thinking about a list of steps that need to be done for each players turn.
Perhaps I have to go dig out MOO3 again and play a bit for some inspiration :)

Oh, and I'm sorry about the uncommented checkin. I was trying to maximize the window and accidentally clicked Checkin. Is there a setting somewhere that can prevent me from having empty comments on checking in?
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2008 at 7:25 AM
Hi Kender,

excuse me, I am currently very busy in my main profession.

- Other..

All of that. My idea was, that I enable first the reseach mechanism. Research give me buildings, structures, vehicle and Ressources.

- Majesty_of_Omega.BL.Game.Savegame?

Currently yes.

Should we generate SitReports for AI players too for them to react on or will they only react to current state (not changes from previous turn)?

The SitReports are only information entries for the human player. The state of the game should be calculated from a current game state. Several events in the calculation results in situation reports.

In that case we might want to derive several types of report with more data to use.

I don't think, it is nessecary.

Yes, all artwork has to be replaced.

2008/12/4 Kender <notifications@codeplex.com>

Just a few questions I have:

- Other..

Majesty_of_Omega.BL.Game.Savegame?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MajestyOfOmega@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MajestyOfOmega@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2008 at 5:10 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Yes, maybe, we could divide our work into GUI and AI stuff.

2008/12/4 Kender <notifications@codeplex.com>

I thought I'd get started on the AI side. You are obviously much more at home with GUIs than I am, so maybe we can work in parallel a bit.
So that when you enable the player to do stuff in the GUI, I enable the AI opponents to do the same things (without a GUI of course).

But I noticed that the ResearchManager lives in the SaveGame, so there is only one set of research for all players. That made me wonder if research is something for human players only.

Perhaps we should start creating some structures to hold the player-specific stuff. Like treasury, resources and perhaps research.

Like:
SaveGame
Player 0
Research
Treasury
Policies
Leaders
Resources
Etc.
Player 1
Research
Treasury
Policies
Leaders
Resources
Etc.

Another way to do it would be less intuitive for me:
SaveGame
Research
Player 0
Player 1
Treasury
Player 0
Player 1
Etc.
I think there are two different kinds of items. 'Personal' and 'Global'. Where personal items are the things other players cannot interact with (except through spying maybe) like treasury, tax setting, policies, leader appointments, etc.
The Global items could then be things like planets, ships, bases. They can live in the SaveGame and have tags identifier their owners.
I hope you get where I'm going with this. It's kinda hard to explain maybe :)

I also think it's a good idea to start thinking about a list of steps that need to be done for each players turn.
Perhaps I have to go dig out MOO3 again and play a bit for some inspiration :)

Oh, and I'm sorry about the uncommented checkin. I was trying to maximize the window and accidentally clicked Checkin. Is there a setting somewhere that can prevent me from having empty comments on checking in?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MajestyOfOmega@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MajestyOfOmega@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Dec 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Hi Kender,

excuse me, I am currently very busy in my main profession.
That's okay. I am in no hurry and have plenty of other things to do as well :)
I don't expect this project to ever be completed. I see it as an opportunity to help you out, learn from other peoples code and write some code now and then, in an interesting context (4X game).

The SitReports are only information entries for the human player. The state of the game should be calculated from a current game state. Several events in the calculation results in situation reports.
Hm, then AI players need some way to compare the previous state of the game (at close of their last turn) to the new state (at the start of their new turn).
Otherwise they would not know that the human player has captured one of their planets for example.
If we maintain a queue of events, each with detailed information, which get filled with events as they happen then the AI players will be able to query this queue for events to obtain information on which to base decisions.
The SitReport could then be a visual representation of the selection of events in the queue that are relevant to the human player.

That approach would also allow easy replacement of AI players with humans if you ever decide to incorporate multiplayer.

Another way to handle this would be to not let the AI players have their own turns (or only very limited) but to react to events as they happen. For example to re-distribute the economy for war and dispatch ships the moment the human player captures one of it's planets, in stea dof waiting for it's turn.

Kender